Friday, June 10, 2016

Testing Day



Pictured here is some of the stuff I had laid out for testing.

You can see my most comfortable and oldest (since the flood) uniform along with a plain black belt that I've been wearing a lot recently.

I prepared a purple folder for each judge that contained:
- a list of my forms
- my short term goals
- my long(er) term goals
- some print outs of some posts from my blog
- a version of the "Masters Wheel" document shared with me by Grand Master Bob Hardin

There was also a single folder containing the letters of recommendation written for me, so that the board could look through them if they wished.

In the little brown bag I had a bunch of carabiners that I used in my self defense demonstration.  Afterwards I gave one to each of the three people (Ginny, Marta, and John) who held target for my kicks, partnered with me for the self defense, and/or held a board.  I also let each of the 6 members of the testing board choose a carabiner.

The red gift bags were for Master Andy Tourin, Master Ken Mammen, and Master Ross Briggs.  The black gift bags were for Grand Master Bill Dewart, Grand Master Archie Alexander, and Soke. In this picture I had put the three red inside the three black, just so that I could carry them easier!

Each gift bag had a version of the "Subjective Object" (A.K.A. "Fred") and a tactical flashlight.
What do you mean "Subjective Object" (A.K.A. "Fred") you are probably asking... well, you'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out!

The red bags also contained a book of inspirational quotes.

The black bags also had a thank you card and a wooden "stage" for "Fred"...


I had one purple folder for myself that contained a copy of my list of forms, goals, and the following printout that Stephanie Blythe had posted at o'dark thirty that very morning...


I did kicks on targets and at people standing very, very still.

I did forms.

I showed applications of movements from forms.

I demonstrated self defense with my flashlight and carabiner and without.

I answered questions.

I talked about the metaphor of breaking boards, and then gave a breaking demonstration.

And finally, I presented my 8th Dan Thesis on the "Subjective Object"...

Throughout all this I found out that altitude does affect you and sipping water at every opportunity was a great idea!

Ginny was videoing and I'm anxious to see what she was able to record, because even though I was there - it is all a blur in so many ways.  I was on such an adrenaline rush that I don't even remember a conversation Jo says she had with me right afterwards!

I can tell you one thing for sure though.  I really had a good time.  I felt like I was right where I was supposed to be and grateful for the support that was in the room and all around me physically and otherwise.  There was a moment right before the very last break where I swear to you I felt my mom right there with me.

It was a phenomenal experience.  Words are inadequate.

Love and Respect,
Kathy Wiz


1 comment:

  1. I felt your mom in that room too. It was such a powerful moment for all of us.

    ReplyDelete