Sunday, March 27, 2016

Art


My (current) favorite definition of Art is...
  1. "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination."

For me this is where the true value of martial arts lie... in the Art.  Sport  has been an important and valued part of my martial arts journey, but it has only been a part of it.

Tae Kwon Do - using the physical (hands and feet = body) 
                           to affect the 
                           non-physical (the way = beliefs, emotions, & thought process)

I often joke that the real Do (doh) happens only when you are "do"ing it, but the great news is that with an art, that really is the only limitation.

I am a painter (an artist) so long as I'm painting, and it is an "expression or application of human creative skill and imagination."  It really doesn't matter the medium or the materials, or even if you like it or not.

I am a writer (an artist) so long as I'm writing, and it is an "expression or application of human creative skill and imagination."  Again - it really doesn't matter about the subject, or the genre, or whether or not it receives critical acclaim.  

I am a martial artist so long as I'm participating and it is an "expression or application of human creative skill and imagination." Here, it does not require a certain skill level nor does it have to meet anyone else's approval actually either...  

The main criteria is that I must be an active participant - regardless of age (on either end of the spectrum) or ability.

There is a bumper sticker "The Earth without art is just...  Eh"

Life without Art is too.

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz







No comments:

Post a Comment