Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Tae Kwon Do - Sport vs Art


Sport Tae Kwon Do is about competition.  
A simple definition of competition is the act or process of trying to get or win something.

I personally like competition and I've participated in more tournaments than I can remember.  I've competed, coached, officiated, handled staging, registration, been a spectator, and been the person responsible for putting on the tournament.  


In Sport Tae Kwon Do the competitors are called players.  It is a game. I like playing games - usually.


When don't I like Sport Tae Kwon Do? 

I don't like it when the attitude is win at all costs - whether that attitude is from the athlete, coach, or family members. But I really don't like it when people act like Sport Tae Kwon Do is the same as the martial art of Tae Kwon Do.

The Art of Tae Kwon Do is a bigger thing that the Sport. An Art has fewer limitations, constraints, and rules.

If you want to compete, there are a whole set of qualifications you must meet.  And what is the goal? Win!

If you want to practice the Art, you just have to do it - age, abilities, and others' opinions matter not. And what is the goal? Self Improvement (in some form/fashion)...

Sport can be contained within the Art as the Art is the bigger "construct."

I guarantee you that whatever medal or trophy you "win" at a competition costs a tiny fraction of the amount you paid to participate, and conversely, you come away from an Art with experiences that are worth more than any fee you might pay to learn.

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz



No comments:

Post a Comment