Tuesday, March 22, 2016

"Money"

"Money" is what I've named a competition technique that is particularly effective against a front leg side kick used defensively.

It is a great technique that I've used (and shared with many, many students who have used it) effectively over the years.

It works like this...

Throw a back leg round house.  If you notice that the defender is using a front leg side kick for defense, essentially short cutting your kick, start to throw the back leg round house again and this time abort the kick after the initial movement by stepping back down off to the outside (45 degrees-ish) with that leg still behind you and IMMEDIATELY throw the round house again.  

What you have just done is:
- trigger a known response in the defender and gotten them to commit
- changed your angle of attack while they are throwing their side kick against something not there anymore
- and put yourself at a new angle so that as their side kick misses completely AND you are already in the process of kicking them!

MONEY in the bank!

What is interesting about this technique is that I learned it by having it done against me... by a National Champion, at the USTU Nationals in the last 10 seconds of the last round... securing her victory in that match.

Some post in the future maybe I'll fill in the back story of why this was so devastating to me at the time, but for now suffice it to say that while I lost that day, I later recovered my composure and went on to use (and to teach others to use) that technique to score many, many more points!

I'd estimate conservatively that I've used (or my students have used) "Money" to score 200+ points since that 1 was scored on me.  Pretty sweet rate of return, no?

I'm doubtful that I'd have spent so much time dissecting and learning about this move had it not been used so effectively against me.  This is just one of the simplest versions of what I meant in the post yesterday, and why I liked so much that saying "I don't lose.  I win or I learn."

In truth, I hope "I learn" no matter what the outcome of the match is with regards to points.

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz



1 comment: