Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Don't Worry - You Won't Hit Him...


Yesterday's post "Don't Panic" reminded me ...

A long time ago, back when I was teaching in the aerobics space at the Y, I had a red belt adult female student who was going to do a running jump side kick and break a board that her husband was holding down at the other end of the room.

She hemmed and hawed and moved around a lot, but hadn't even begun to make any movement toward where her board and board holder were, so I finally asked "What's wrong?"

She leaned over and whispered that she was afraid that she was going to hit him.
I reassured her. "You'll be fine.  You won't hit him."
Her:  "But what if I do hit him?"
Me:  "You won't hit him!"
Her:  "I *really* don't want to hit him..."
Me:  "Go on!  You won't hit him!"
Her:   Sigh - "O.K."

She took off down the floor, leapt into air ... completely missed the board, and almost did NOT miss his face.  (Thank goodness he dove off to the side at the last possible moment!)

As she came walking back toward me, I was recalling our conversation - and it hit me...
She leaned over and whispered that she was afraid that she was going to hit him.
I reassured her. "You'll be fine.  You won't hit him."
Her reply?  "But what if I do hit him?"
Me:  "You won't hit him!"
Her:  "I *really* don't want to hit him..."
Me:  "Go on!  You won't hit him!"
Her:   Sigh - "O.K." 
I smacked myself mentally on the forehead - DUH!

After checking that her husband was o.k. and ready to hold the board again, I changed tactics.

Me: "Hey, no worries.  You are going to smash the board this time."
Her:  "What if I miss again?"
Me:  "You are going to go right through the board this time."
        "Trust me, you got it now.  You will break that board right through the middle"
        "You can do this!"
Her:  Sigh - "O.K."

And she did.

Think about what you want.  You can't NOT think about something...
So be careful what words you are running around in your brain.

Yesterday's post (Don't Panic) would have probably been better reworded as Just Relax...

It is harder than it seems to talk about what you want rather than what you don't, but you can do it, and it is clearly best to put your thoughts and energies into those things - the feelings, thoughts, actions, and results - you want!

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz

No comments:

Post a Comment