Monday, March 28, 2016

Martial Arts and Martial Artists...


So after my post yesterday about Art, Aaron and I had this exchange:
Aaron Piepmeier Nice post. This is something I've been trying to wrap my head around lately. Would you mind expanding a bit on one section? You mention that with painting, writing, etc. the "medium" doesn't matter. What about with martial arts? Do you consider there to be a requirement of "medium" to be considered a martial artist? For example, if I practice American boxing (i.e. "Boxing) vs. Chinese boxing (i.e. "Wing chun")?
LikeReply22 hrs
Katherine Wieczerza I think more than the what...Is the why...
LikeReply21 hrs
Katherine Wieczerza There are definitely american boxers that are artists... And because of the fighting component, definitely martial.
LikeReply21 hrsEdited
Katherine Wieczerza And there are definitely people who participate in martial arts that are NOT martial artists... In my opinion only... You know what I mean?
LikeReply21 hrs
Aaron Piepmeier Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it. I'm really enjoying delving into thought about what constitutes a "martial art". I'm beginning to feel as though there are no martial arts; just martial artists. I'm not 100% sold on this, but it's becoming a harder question than I thought.
LikeReply19 hrs
Katherine Wieczerza So.... I think that things can be classified as martial arts or not... Just like people can be martial artists or NOT

Aaron Piepmeier has been studying martial arts since beginning TKD in 1995/96. He is a TKD 4th Dan and was head instructor of his own school from 2001-2007. He has various levels of training in other fighting modalities including stage combat (unarmed, rapier/dagger, quarter staff, broad sword), Goju-Shorei Weapons, and Aikido. He also holds a PhD in Sport & Exercise Psychology.

Aaron is an amazing Martial Artist, Friend, Father, Husband, Gentleman... you name it...

I asked his permission to continue this discussion as my post for today.

Martial Arts and Martial Artists...

I think that you can categorize an activity as a Martial Art or not a Martial Art. 
How?  
Well, to me  
#1 - It must have a fighting/combative/martial component and 
#2 - It must meet the definition of an Art.

Remember, my current favorite definition of an Art?  
"An Art is the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination" - and as I think about it more, I'd probably add "for the betterment of the individual over time."

It would certainly be possible for an activity to fulfill neither requirement, or for it to meet requirement #1 without providing the opportunity for its participants to meet requirement #2, and visa versa.
Only by having a fighting/martial component AND inherently providing the individual a vehicle for the expression or application of their creative skill and imagination (for the betterment of that individual over time) would it meet my criteria to be categorized as a Martial Art.

I also think that it is fair to categorize someone as a Martial Artist or not a Martial Artist, by 
#1 - Their participation in a fighting/combative/martial activity and 
#2 - Their expression or application of their creative skill and imagination for the betterment of that individual over time.

Obviously, I could see how someone participating in a "Martial Art" could become a Martial Artist, but I can also see how someone participating in a "Martial Art" might not become a Martial Artist.  Finally, I can imagine a case where someone could participate in a "Martial" activity and transcend the activity itself to use it to become a Martial Artist...

Remember, this is My Opinion Only...    

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz

2 comments:

  1. I taught class on remembering the art last night. And balancing the two: the Martial and the Artist. I love the way your words reinforce others teaching! Glad you are my instructor and proud of you for doing this! Love you!

    ReplyDelete