Monday, April 25, 2016

Lists of thing "To Do"


Sometimes my To Do List feels like a "Freakin' Never Ending To Do List" and it upsets me.

I want to do it all and be all and... I beat myself up over not doing enough AND end up feeling bad AND not getting it all done.

On days like today sometimes I wonder if the ease with which I become distracted is directly proportional to the size of my "To Do List" - as if it is an unconscious coping strategy...

[Deep, Deep Breath]

O.K. maybe I need to take *several* deep breaths.
That's better.

Next, actively remember some great advice I was given long ago.

The gist of it was that told me to take my giant To Do List and turn it into 3 lists:
- a "should" list
- a "want to" list
- and a "need to" list.

Then I was told to try to do at least 2 of the things on the "need to" list, as by virtue of being on that list, they were obviously important and urgent.  (Yes - that is a nod to Stephen Covey's quadrant there... but at that time - late 80's - I didn't even know who Stephen Covey was...)

*And* to do at least 1 thing off of my "want to" list, as typically these are things that give us joy and/or feed our soul and are nourishing and reinvigorating.

What about the "should" list?  I was advised to throw it away.  That usually the things we put on that list are things we put on there because of others... and that if they were important enough - they would make it over to the "want" or "need to" list soon enough - especially so if those lists were getting smaller day by day.

Funny, but I received this advice from a physician I had gone to for a physical the very first time I went to a National competition.  I only saw him that one time, but what he said has helped me many times and I wish I could tell him so today.  In lieu of that, I'll pass it on and hopefully, it will be useful info for someone else.

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz


No comments:

Post a Comment