Wednesday, April 20, 2016

What Level Is That Form/Pattern You Just Did?


If you've worked with me for any length of time, you already know what I am looking for when I ask...
"What level is the form that you just did?"

That is a very different question than say...
"At what level did you learn the form that you just did?"
and/or
"At what belt level were you first taught this form?"

When I am doing the first form I ever learned - Basic Form 1 (Kee Cho Hyung Il Boo) - I'm trying to make it a 7th Degree Black Belt Form ... because that's my rank and if I'm still doing it as a white belt form then there is a big problem.  After over 36 years of doing that form, it better NOT look like a white belt form... 

It also relates to why there is so much time between black belt ranks.  Arguably you are being introduced to the greatest amount (and probably most overwhelming and confusing amount) of new material as a color belt - yet months become years between testing once you advance into the black belt levels...

For me, each rank advancement needs more and more time in between, not because of the new material I'm being introduced to at this level, but because of the raising the level of the existing body of knowledge becomes more difficult as the sheer volume of it increases as does the challenge of improving and changing something that you are so familiar with already.

So... it doesn't matter what form I've just done.  When you ask me what is the level of the form I've just completed, I'll say "7th Dan... growing towards 8th!"

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz

No comments:

Post a Comment