Friday, April 15, 2016

What didn't happen...


I had an interesting Facebook message from a martial artist recently.  It was about what he did NOT do to someone on the airplane who was being really rude and annoying, and about what he DID do - which was ask the person to turn down their device... and they did.

It made me think about the things I have done because I'm a martial artist, and also, the things that I didn't do because I'm a martial artist.

And I realized that the times I most feel like a black belt are the times when I choose a higher path, when I don't let myself sink into destructive behavior that affects others and ultimately myself.

So, it is funny isn't it, that the times I feel most worthy of the description of my rank in the martial arts are the times that I am most kind, thoughtful, and patient.

Think about it.  What level of skill do you need to break things and tear down a structure?  And conversely, what level of skill is needed to build, create, or reinforce?

I want to be known for what I construct - not for what I can destroy.

For me, martial arts is self defense... for my life.

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz

No comments:

Post a Comment