Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Does It Ring A Bell?


There is no sound, and then the bell is struck.

Where there was silence, now the ringing of the bell fills the air.

Slowly, the sound fades.

Listen carefully...
It is hard to tell when, but eventually you can tell that the sound is indeed gone.

In a guided mindfulness meditation I was a part of recently, the person leading the session suggested that this is a metaphor for everything.

There is the time "before" - the time "during" where it fills your awareness - and then the "after" time when it lessens and ultimately fades.

Whether we are talking about feelings, or events - good or bad - there is a time before, a time when it fills our lives/awareness, and then a time after as it lessens and eventually fades away.  

Nothing is permanent.

So those things that seem so bad - hang in there - they WILL fade and eventually pass.
(You can always re-ring the bell and re-invoke it, but you don't *have* to!)

And when things are great - make sure to enjoy it - they WILL eventually pass too.
(But again ... you can re-ring it and re-invoke another version of it!)

Sometimes I get *SO* caught up in what is going on or what I'm feeling...

This concept has value for me and I think if I can remember it when I'm in the midst of things it might help.  Does it ring a bell with you?

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz

No comments:

Post a Comment