Monday, February 8, 2016

Passion, Perseverance, and Patience


On more than one occasion I've said that I think if someone wants to be a martial artist for their entire lifetime they have to have the three P's:  Passion, Perseverance, and Patience.
(There's that number 3 again Andrew Trento...)

Passion is more than "like" but defintely less than "obsession."   Most people may not, probably won't, understand your dedication and level of interest and commitment, but even so, they see the value of your endeavor and may even envy it.  It is NOT an obsession, which ultimately detracts from your quality of life.  This intensity is healthy, happy, and healing... Being a lifelong martial artist is not for the faint of heart, it requires passion.

Perseverance is necessary to keep you going when the Passion waxes and wanes as all things that are intense and lasting must.  Perseverance keeps you showing up working, growing, teaching, and learning over time.  It is what has you showing up, when you'd rather be sleeping in.

Patience is needed with others of course.  Remember one of my favorite jokes?  
How many martial artists does it take to change a lightbulb?  11.  One to change it and 10 to stand around and say "Well, we don't do it like that at my school..."
Patience, with others because so much of what we learn is with and from others and no two people are the same.  But probably most import is patience with ourselves.

I have tended to be primarily working or relying on one of these at any given point.  Today, I'm working all three... Trying not to let my intensity overwhelm my common sense and logic. Persevering, writing this blog not because I'm super inspired to do so tonight, but doing it anyway cause I said I would, I need to, and it will benefit me in the long run. Trying to be patient with myself
after a very long and difficult day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment