Saturday, February 27, 2016

What is a Black Belt?






Yesterday I blogged about my Martial Arts Mission Statement of "Self Defense for your Life - not just your body."  That, and a timely phone conversation, got me thinking again about the very common question ... What is a Black Belt?

It seems to me that under black ranks are when we learn the basics of how to use the tools martial arts provides. Once we get to Black, the focus shifts to using these abilities to improve our "way of life."

Being a Black Belt has to be more than just what you can do - or do to someone else.
It has to be more than just about your abilities in the dojang, accomplishing tasks so that you can advance in rank, or your self defense skills in a physical confrontation.

Becoming and growing as a Black Belt has come to mean, for me at least, how to take the lessons (physical and otherwise) out of martial arts framework and into my everyday life.

For at least 20 years I've referred to this article "What is a Black Belt?" by Debra L. Pettis from the book Women in the Martial Arts - Carol Wiley.  I used to photocopy the very handout you see pictured at the top of this post - back before the "digital age" - and give it to each of my students.

In a very timely "coincidence" I found a copy recently to replace the one I'd lost in the flood. There are many good reasons to purchase and read this book, Debra L. Pettis' contribution being one of them.

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz






No comments:

Post a Comment