Sunday, February 14, 2016

End of Week 2 - Expectations vs Objectives


I saw a bald eagle on the way home from the church service today.  

It was just sitting there in a tree on the side of the road.  I admit to stopping the car in the middle of the road and making my 20 year old son lean out the window and take a picture.  

I was so excited and happy!

I certainly had not expected to see a bald eagle - ever - just driving around where I live, but today I did!  As it jumped out of the tree and soared off across the field I was awestruck. I can't ever remember seeing a bald eagle in person - let alone flying free - in the wild!

The drive home had MORE than exceeded my expectations.

Expectations...

While it is amazing when expectations are exceeded, like today, the concept of expectations has been heavy on my mind and heart lately.

I've been thinking a lot about Expectations versus Goals / Objectives.

Expectations seem for me at least, to be loaded with ideas about how something "should" or "shouldn't" go - how someone (myself included!) "should" or "shouldn't" be, behave, or feel...
It seems like expectations have less to do with the actual experience than how I'm feeling about it...

Goals / Objectives on the other hand, are things I'm working on or striving for - and in general don't seem to be such emotional land mines.

I cannot always - hah!
Let's try that again...

I cannot control other people.  I cannot control external events.
I can however work on controlling how I think, feel, and react to whatever is going on.

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz


No comments:

Post a Comment