Friday, February 26, 2016

Martial Arts Mission Statement...



What is your Martial Arts Mission Statement?

What is the foundation underneath the choices that you make
and the paths that you take both daily and long term?

Can you easily sum up why you still take and/or teach martial arts?

Some of my favorite "tongue in cheek"/funny responses to this:

              "I don't like violence - I just happen to be very good at it."
        OR
              "When I am old, I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming!'
                I want them to say 'Be careful, I think she's armed!"
                                                                                                       -- G. Stoddart

While those are fun (and carry their own weight of truth)
they are - at best - surface "answers"
and - at worst - misleading in their apparent focus and praise for the ability to hurt/injure/destroy.

My personal Martial Arts Mission Statement is about construction, helping, and healing
with a decidedly inward focus:

               "Self Defense for your Life - not just your body."

I try to use it as my touchstone for decisions and actions both on a large and small scale in Tae Kwon Do, Goju-Shorei, (currently my two main martial arts), and with regards of Self Defense choices in and out of the dojang.

Respectfully,
Kathy Wiz

No comments:

Post a Comment